The Baltimore Police Department has fired a police officer who was captured in a viral video driving directly at a man and striking him following his convictions this week for assault and related crimes.
Baltimore Circuit Judge Dana Middleton on Thursday found Officer Robert Parks guilty of second-degree assault, misconduct in office and reckless driving after a two-day bench trial.
Though Middleton acquitted Parks of the most serious charges of attempted second-degree murder and first-degree assault, she determined he violated departmental policies and used excessive, retaliatory force. He had been suspended without pay since the incident in October.
A video posted to TikTok shows Parks turning down an alley in his police cruiser and driving straight at Antrell Smith, striking him.
“From the moment we became aware of this incident, I made it clear that what we saw was disturbing, and the conduct was not consistent with our standards or the expectations we have for our officers,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Richard Worley said in a statement Friday. “Today’s termination reflects our commitment to accountability and to ensuring that the men and women who serve this city uphold the law, our policies, and the trust placed in them by the community.”
Testimony at the trial revealed that Parks initially drove up to Wylie Liquors Bar in Northwest Baltimore on Oct. 28 and directed people sitting on the sidewalk to move.
Read More
Parks then told Smith, 46, of Northwest Baltimore, to come to the patrol vehicle because he had an open warrant for failing to appear in court.
When Smith refused and walked away, Parks responded by chasing him in his vehicle. Smith testified he was scared for his life.
Meanwhile, Parks testified he believed Smith also had a gun and posed a danger to the community.
Parks denied that he tried to harm Smith or hit him.
“BPD officers take an oath to protect the residents of our city, and this individual clearly failed to live up to that oath,” Mayor Brandon Scott said in a statement. “As always, we will not hesitate to hold anyone accountable who endangers the safety of our communities, especially those sworn to protect them.”
Mike Mancuso, the president of the Baltimore City Lodge No. 3 Fraternal Order of Police, could not immediately be reached for comment.
Parks’ attorney, Chaz Ball, declined to comment.
Deputy Commissioner Brian Nadeau sat in the courtroom and observed parts of the trial, including the announcement of the verdict.
Parks, 32, a six-year veteran of the force, remains free on home detention as he awaits sentencing on Jan. 12.
This article has been updated.



Comments
Welcome to The Banner's subscriber-only commenting community. Please review our community guidelines.